Pickleball Meeting Minutes November 29, 2007

The first "official" Pickleball (PB) meeting was held on November 29, 2007 at 5:00 pm in the Art Room at the Orchard Lodge. 76 were in attendance.

Bill MacCullough chaired the meeting and began with asking for nominations or self-nominations for board members. The following are the results:


Bill MacCullough President
Richard Holm Vice-President
Marta Holm Secretary/Treasurer
Richard Holm Court Manager
Scott Sutherland Equipment Manager
Katie Didion and Aileen Niver Social Chairs
Helmut Koehne Tournament Manager
Mike Salli Web Master
Linda Brandelius
And Leonard Haubl Members at Large

An application has been filed to make PB an official organizational committee.

The question was asked whether we should meet on a monthly or quarterly basis. Consensus was for meeting monthly for now with the option of changing to quarterly later on in the year.

Dues will not be collected. If funds are needed we will collect from all PB members.

The PB Mission Statement was reviewed. All seemed to be satisfied with the statement.

The topic of what to post on the website was discussed. Members came up with the following:

Someone suggested that we have training available for those newcomers interested in playing PB. Bill asked for volunteers and the following volunteered:
Linda Brandelius Susan Peterson
Linda Rush Helmut Koehne
Steve Dalaklis Katie Didion
Richard Holm

Not everyone received a copy of the great training CD that Alan Christiansen created. Can we get more copies from Alan?

Bill emphasized how important it is that we remind newcomers that they must wear good court/tennis shoes to prevent them from falling or slipping. They should also be able to move easily and limber up before playing. Of course, this isn't something we can test them on before playing but it is something we can include in the monthly Compass. Bill also reminded everyone that when we sign the Sign-In Sheet we are waiving our rights to hold Sun City Lincoln Hills responsible for any injuries incurred while playing on the PB court. We need to make sure we read the statement at the top of the Sign-In sheet.

Bill gave an update on where we are with the action to get a new, permanent court. Bill talked to Chris O'Keefe. There are several options that are possibilities: the parking lot at the Orchard where the parking lot sale is held; the grassy volleyball site by the Pavilion; or expand the area where the PB courts currently are located. Chris is getting bids for two to four courts. He will submit an initial presentation to the Sports Advisory Committee, then to the property and finance committees. Bill hopes to hear something from them within a month or two. Marty Rubin informed Bill that the submittal must be approved and budgeted by the Capital Improvement committee no later than July 2008 in order for it to be built by mid-2009.

Someone suggested that the plans include short nets between courts so that games aren't interrupted with balls coming in from other courts. Courts should also be near restrooms and a social area. We get good visibility where the courts are now which brings in more newcomers.

The question was asked whether we should consider changing the hours during the winter to 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. rather than the current 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Consensus was to change it.

Someone asked why we can't keep the PB nets up all the time. Bill replied that the agreement with the Sun City Lincoln Hills Association was to only put them up as scheduled so that the Basketball court could be available to those interested in playing basketball. Marty stated that if we can prove to the Association that the Basketball court is not being used, they would probably consider allowing us to keep the PB courts up all the time. Bill will check with Abby at the Wave. Bill will also ask the Sports Advisory Committee if we can use the backboard that is used by the tennis players to practice PB.

Bill proposed that future meetings be held on a Thursday at 5:00 p.m. either the 3rd or 4th Thursday of the month. Bill will check the availability of a meeting room.

Bill asked if there were any other items to be discussed. Someone recommended that the bushes at our current PB site be cut back or removed. The sprinklers are also a problem soaking the perimeter of the courts. Bill asked that we notify Chris O'Keefe when we see problems with the sprinklers.

The next PB Board meeting will be on January 10, 2008 at Bill's home. Time of the meeting is to be determined at a later date.

Bill was recognized by all present for all his efforts in bringing PB to Lincoln Hills!


(Minutes transcribed by Marta Holm)